The Palestinian leaders said it has cut all ties with Israel and the US after discarding Donald Trump’s Middle East peace proposal. President Mahmoud Abbas said there will be “no relations at all” with the two countries as he reiterated his “complete” dismissal of the American leader’s plan, which demands for a demilitarised Palestinian state with borders designed to meet Israeli security concept.
Donald Trump US president’s peace plan, which was unveiled on Tuesday, would grant the Palestinians restricted self-rule in parts of the occupied West Bank while giving Israel the opportunity to annex all its settlements and keep almost all of East Jerusalem.
During an emergency one-day Arab League meeting in the Egyptian capital Cairo on Saturday, Mr Abbas said: “We’ve informed the Israeli side … that there will be no relations at all with them and the United States including security ties.”
So far there has not been any comment from the US or Israeli authorities.
Mr Abbas confirmed that he had refused to take Mr Trump’s phone calls nor open his messages, or even take a look at a copy of the plan, “because I know he would use that to say he consulted us”.
“I will never accept this solution. I will not have it recorded in my history that I have sold Jerusalem,” he said.
Mr Abbas said he is determined to ending Israeli control of occupied Palestinian territory and establishing a state with its capital in east Jerusalem. However, Mr Abbas said that the Palestinians refused to accept the US as sole mediator in any negotiations with Israel.
Instead of looking into Trump’s proposal, Mr Abbas said he would go to the United Nations Security Council and international and regional organisations to explain their position.
Meanwhile, the Arab League’s head, Ahmed Aboul-Gheit, said Mr Trump’s proposal revealed a “sharp turn and this turn does not help achieve peace and a just solution.”
Mr Aboul-Gheit advised that the two sides should negotiate to reach a “satisfactory solution for both of them”.
Meanwhile, a statement issued by the Arab League described Mr Trump’s as “a new setback for the three-decade peace efforts”.
It said Arab foreign ministers “reject the US-Israeli deal of the century because it did not meet the minimum rights and aspirations of the Palestinian people”.
It cited the 2002 Arab Peace Initiative as an Arab-accepted settlement to the conflict. That proposal offered Israel normal ties with Arab states in return for Palestinian statehood on territory occupied by Israel in 1967.
Mr Trump unveiled his own long-awaited peace plan in Washington at joint press conference with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The proposal would allow Israel to annex all its West Bank settlements – which the Palestinians and most of the international community view as illegal – as well as the Jordan Valley, which accounts for roughly a quarter of the West Bank.
In return, the Palestinians would be granted statehood in Gaza, scattered chunks of the West Bank and some neighbourhoods on the outskirts of Jerusalem, all linked together by a new network of roads, bridges and tunnels.
Israel would control the state’s borders and airspace and maintain overall security authority. Critics of the proposals say this would rob Palestinian statehood of any meaning.
The plan would also abolish the right of return for Palestinian refugees displaced by the 1948 war and their descendants, a key Palestinian demand.
The entire agreement would be dependent on Gaza’s Hamas rulers and other armed groups disarming, something they have always adamantly rejected.
Ambassadors from the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Oman attended the unveiling of Mr Trump’s plan.
Saudi Arabia and Egypt, Arab states that are close US allies, said they appreciated Mr Trump’s efforts and called for renewed negotiations without commenting on the plan’s content.