Brexit talks resumed this week to hear negotiations on wrapping a deal but Brussels may be looking towards a couple of issues going forward, an expert predicted.
For now, the transition period is expected to end on December 31, 2020, although the global coronavirus pandemic has kept talks behind schedule.
UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson has stood his ground that there won’t be an extension of the transition period even when officials have held on to extension hopes due to the coronavirus crisis.
The slamming impact of the ravaging virus will not only force an extension to Brexit but could also force the EU to change how it works to live.
Italy has suffered the highest death toll on the continent and Prime Minister, Giuseppe Conte has criticised the EU for not acting soon enough to support the state.
Professor Alex de Ruyter director of Birmingham University’s Centre for Brexit Studies told the Express that the bloc may struggle to present a unified negotiating platform going forward following the coronavirus pandemic.
Mr de Ruyter said: “The EU has worked extremely hard to maintain post-Brexit unity and at the moment this is continuing.
“So far, Brexit has seemed more likely to break up the UK than the rest of the EU.
“However, remember that in the event of a so-called ‘mixed agreement’, every member state has a veto so expect a host of issues to come up.”
In light of the coronavirus crippling the continent, Italian MEP Mara Bizzotto savaged the bloc and insisted the country is sick of paying for Europe.
She also said: “Dear European bureaucrats, you are out of your mind. The people of Italy are sick of paying for Europe. Italians are sick of every year having millions of euros stolen from their pockets.”
European authorities have discussed a fiscal package on Thursday, with some officials declaring a substantial fund would be needed to help restore the trade bloc, while states across the EU were asked to consider Spain’s £1.3trillion investment package to rebuild the worst-hit countries.
While Italy’s Prime Minister, Giuseppe Conte sent in a coronabond plan but was rejected on arrival by Germany, Austria and the Netherlands since it was perceived that the plan would increase the debt across the continent in order for countries to help pay for the impact of the coronavirus.
Speaking of the bloc, Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the bloc is facing its worst crisis since the Second World War.
“Europe is enduring its worst crisis since the second world war. Our citizens are dying or fighting for their lives in hospitals that are overwhelmed by a pandemic which represents the greatest threat to public health since the 1918 flu pandemic.
“And we must act now or never, because, right at this moment, Europe itself is at stake.”