Around 120 people were forced to evacuate their homes in north-west London on Thursday night due to a gas leak. The incident occurred in Malvern Road, West Kilburn, when a 24-inch gas main ruptured, prompting the response of approximately 40 firefighters in six fire engines.
In addition to the gas leak, firefighters also discovered a sinkhole caused by a burst water main near the area. The sinkhole measured approximately four meters wide and four meters deep. As a precautionary measure, a 25-meter cordon was put in place, and around 50 properties were evacuated.
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) spokesperson confirmed that no injuries were reported. However, the strong smell of gas prompted firefighters to advise residents to keep their windows and doors closed. The LFB worked in collaboration with the Metropolitan Police and Brent Council to ensure the safety of the affected area.
To accommodate those unable to find shelter with friends or family, the Brent Council established a rest center at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Stafford Road. The council also implemented significant road closures near the scene to ensure public safety.
Firefighters remained at the scene until approximately 4:20 am on Friday, working diligently alongside emergency services to carry out the necessary evacuations. The incident serves as a reminder of the importance of prompt response and coordination in ensuring the safety of the community during emergencies.
SurgeZirc UK has reached out to Brent Council for further comments on the incident.