A man who took part in the torture and murder of a toddler remains behind bars after his application for parole was denied.
Jon Venables and his friend Robert Thompson were only ten years old when they abducted a two-year-old from a shopping centre in Bootle, Merseyside. The two men tortured James Bulger and then dumped his lifeless body by a railway line.
After eight years of imprisonment for murder, they were both released and granted lifelong anonymity in 2001. The men had been the youngest people at that time to be imprisoned for murder in 250 years.
At the age of 38, Venables was put behind bars again for holding child abuse images on his computer. He was given a second new identity following his release in 2013. The Parole Board assessed his case following application for parole and denied his bid to be freed from jail on Tuesday.
A Parole Board spokesman said: “We can confirm that a panel of the Parole Board did not direct the release of Mr Venables following an assessment of his case. Under current legislation, Mr Venables will be eligible for a further review within two years. The date of the next review will be set by the Ministry of Justice.”
The father of the victim, Ralph Bulger expressed approval of the Parole Board`s decision saying that he could “rest easy”, as he was “convinced” the killer would be released again.
In a statement, Mr Bulger said: “This is the first time ever that the right decision has been made regarding my son’s killers. I am so relieved because I was convinced he was getting out – just as he has done before.”