Appearing on Tuesday’s Good Morning Britain, Andrew Lloyd Webber gave some insight into his experience of taking part in an experimental Covid-19 vaccine trial.
The world-renowned composer took part in the trial because he would ‘do anything to prove theatres can re-open safely’.
Speaking to hosts Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid of Good Morning Britain, Andrew said: “It’s very carefully monitored, you do comprehensive blood tests.”
“I fill in a daily form online which I then say if I have any symptoms. All that information is collated.” – He added.
The world-renowned composer went on to say: “They asked for older people to come down. They originally said not to but then on the Sunday I got the call to come down. Two women reacted badly to the trials in America, which they obviously discovered it was unrelated.”
“There are two vaccines and they don’t tell you which one you’ve actually had. I probably shouldn’t say any more as they want to keep it slightly under wraps.” – He added.
The University of Oxford and the drug company AstraZeneca have been working on the development of the experimental vaccine called ‘ChAdOx1 nCoV-19’.
Many people have volunteered to take part in clinical trials for the experimental vaccine, this includes those from the UK, the United States, Brazil, and South Africa.
Andrew Lloyd Webber explained the negative effects of Covid-19 on the theatre industry, stating: “Well I mean I’ve been in theatre for 50 years and never seen anything like it and the stories are really heartbreaking. A really talented viola player I saw the other day is stacking shelves in Morrisons.”
“I don’t think commercial theatre could survive unless the government give us some help, I have noticed in recent years it has been pretty far down the food chain anyway. TV and film get a lot of credit.” – He added.
Andrew Lloyd Webber and his fellow stage stars have been speaking out about the lack of Government guidance for theatres to reopen.
They need the Government to provide the industry with a date of when theatres can properly reopen without social distancing amidst the Covid-19 pandemic.
Last month saw venues opening for the first time since the start of lockdown, but in accordance with strict guidelines a majority of seats remained empty. Many owners have stated this is not financially feasible for them to continue to stay open.